As anyone with keratosis pilaris knows, the condition can be hard to treat. Often times the solution is to combine a keratosis pilaris cream like KP Elements with several easy lifestyle changes that can help keep your KP at bay. Creating a comprehensive approach to caring for your skin can help minimize the negative impact and help you feel and look better. Here are five easy lifestyle changes that can help you cope with keratosis pilaris.
- Use a lotion that is formulated to directly affect the symptoms of keratosis pilaris, like KP Elements. Alpha hydroxy acids exfoliate your skin and encourage the healthy and rapid turnover of skin cells revealing smoother skin texture. Vitamins E and C, the essential oils and omega 3 fatty acids support the health and hydration of your skin.
- Keep bath time short and use warm water. Hot water and long exposure can remove oils from skin drying it out further. Use mild soaps and gently pat your skin dry afterward to avoid scrubbing off protective oils.
- Eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. Make sure to eat plenty of fish (like salmon) for their Omega-3 content, and avoid white carbohydrates. Studies have shown that this type of diet along with a vitamin C supplement can promote younger looking skin.
- Take an Omega-3 supplement. Omega-3 fatty acids help your body produce healthy, moist, smooth skin cells from the inside out.
- Manage your stress. Try moderate physical activity like walking or listening to music. Yoga can be an effective tool for stress management as it usually includes some form of breathing technique and meditation for relaxation. There is some evidence that stress can make skin conditions worse.
For some it may be hard to consider a skin condition as a quality of life issue, but your entire body is interconnected – your skin is your largest organ after all.