If you suffer from keratosis pilaris, you know the symptoms: those sandpaper like bumps that cover the back of your arms, legs, and maybe even your face. You may know how it feels to want to keep your arms covered all the time, or to have casual acquaintances ask you about those annoying bumps on your arms. You probably also know that when your skin gets dry, those bumps can go from just annoying to red, itchy and irritating. The bad news is that keratosis pilaris is a chronic condition without a “cure,” though some people do find the severity decreases with time. The good news is that by properly caring for your skin, you can clear up the unsightly bumps and enjoy clear, smooth skin. Here are some tips for taking care of your skin with a good keratosis pilaris cream.
- Don’t scrub. Though those bumps look like dry skin that could be simply scrubbed away, they aren’t. Keratosis pilaris is caused by an internal condition: a building up of excess keratin around the hair follicles that causes bumps to form underneath your skin. Excess abrasive scrubbing will only irritate your skin and make the condition worse.
- Go for warm, not hot. Hot showers may feel great, but they’re hard on your skin and can be overly drying. Stick to a comfortably warm shower or bath and don’t stay in the water too long. Spending too much time in the water strips healthy oils from your skin, resulting in irritation and dryness. Shoot for spending less than 15 minutes in the shower or tub.
- Use a mild soap. Antibacterial or heavily fragranced soaps can also irritate your skin and cause dryness. Choose a mild soap with added moisturizers. When you finish bathing, your skin should feel soft and smooth, not tight or dry.
- Lock in moisture. After bathing, pat dry instead of rubbing with a towel to avoid removing moisture from your skin.
- Treat with a keratosis pilaris cream. KP Elements is a cream specially formulated to treat your keratosis pilaris and lock in moisture after a shower. Our product contains a 10% formulation of alpha-hydroxy acids that will dissolve the extra keratin, exfoliate your skin, and encourage new cell growth. Unlike other products that use harsh chemicals, KP Elements is gentle and made from all natural ingredients to treat your keratosis pilaris and deeply nourish your skin. Try it for yourself and enjoy the confidence that comes from having smooth, healthy skin.